About the FLC Awards Program
The FLC Awards Program annually recognizes federal laboratories and their industry partners for outstanding technology transfer efforts. Since 1984, the FLC has recognized honorees at nearly 200 federal laboratories. These awards have become one of the most prestigious honors in technology transfer.
The FLC recognizes honorees in the following categories:
- Awards for Excellence in Technology Transfer – recognizes employees of FLC member laboratories and non-laboratory staff who have accomplished outstanding work in the process of transferring federally developed technology.
- Laboratory Director of the Year - honors directors of FLC laboratories who have made maximum contributions to support technology transfer activities in their organizations.
- FLC Service Award – recognizes significant contributions to the Consortium. awards are presented in three categories:
- Harold Metcalf Award – for an FLC laboratory employee who has provided sustained significant service to the FLC as an organization.
- Representative of the Year Award – for an FLC Representative who has made the most significant contribution to the FLC in the past year.
- Outstanding Service Award – for an individual or group who is not an FLC laboratory employee for a notable contribution to the FLC in terms of sustained support and/or service.
- Interagency Partnership Award – recognizes agency and/or laboratory employees from at least two different agencies who have collaboratively accomplished outstanding work in transferring a technology.
- Outstanding Technology Transfer Professional Award – recognizes the efforts of an FLC laboratory technology transfer professional (or team) who has demonstrated outstanding work transferring a technology in a manner significantly over and above what was called for in the normal course of their work. Office of Research and Technology Applications (ORTA) representatives, technology transfer program managers, and commercialization managers are ideal candidates for this awards.
- State and Local Economic Development Award – recognizes successful initiatives that involve partnership between state or local economic development groups and federal laboratories for economic benefit.
- Rookie of the Year Award – recognizes the efforts of an FLC laboratory technology transfer professional who has demonstrated outstanding work in the field of technology transfer in a manner significantly over and above what was called for in the normal course of their work during the past year. The nominee must be new to technology transfer, with three years (or less) experience in a technology transfer position.
- STEM Award – recognizes the efforts of an FLC laboratory employee (or team) that has demonstrated outstanding work in support of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education during the past year. STEM education encompasses all levels of formal education, to include: K-12, colleges and universities, post-doctoral programs, and nonprofit organizations supporting STEM.
For additional information on the FLC Awards Program, contact Michele Chambers, FLC Management Support Office, (856) 667-7727, x135, firstname.lastname@example.org.